Colorado Criminal Defense Lawyer
This firm represents those accused of serious criminal complaints like felony drug offenses, felony assaults, and domestic violence.
What is a Felony?
Felony charges represent the most serious types of crimes, and Colorado has six different classes of felonies, some of them carrying tremendous penalties. Felony crimes can result in sentences, not to county jails, but to state prison facilities. Felonies are different from lesser crimes, which are called misdemeanors, and carry up to two years in a county jail facility (four years is possible if aggravated).
Some typical felonies:
- Drug possession and distribution
- Second degree assault
- Theft and property crimes, like criminal mischief
- Sexual assault
- Aggravated Driving offense like Vehicular Assault and DUI while a habitual traffic offender
- Burglary and Trespass
Many criminal offenses can also be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony.
You face serious consequences of a felony conviction:
- It could be on your record for life
- Imprisonment (state imprisonment)
- Probation or parole
- Significant fines
- Loss of the right to possess deadly weapons
- Loss of occupational licensing
- Loss or impairment of immigration status
The likelihood of any of the above consequences depends on:
- If someone was injured, the severity of the injury
- Your previous criminal record
- Your work, educational, and social history
- Attitude of community and court toward this type of crime
- Whether you may currently be on probation or parole, or previously failed to complete same
- Whether the offense involved drugs, alcohol, weapons, or violence
A Colorado felony is serious
If you are accused of a felony, you should speak to criminal defense attorney to learn more about your rights, your defenses and any factors that may change the outcome in your case. The Law Firm of Brian DeBauche, LLC conducts extensive investigation on Colorado felony crimes, and will aggressively defend you against any complaint by police that you were involved in such matters.